Saturday, March 19, 2016

Week 2 wrap up

I had an eventful end to an eventful second week. First I was approached by the student editor of the school newspaper to be interviewed about something I love to talk about, my career, my art and how I got to where I am, but I think it was a ploy, it seemed like she has a crush on me. She recorded my responses with her iphone and there was a funny moment when I stopped talking and instead of a new question I noticed her staring up at me dreamily. I have been trying so hard to be a dorky teacher to avoid such a thing, but apparently not hard enough.

I wanted to start my weekend right away, but after the interview I had to first try on my gown for the commencement ceremony in May. I hold a masters degree and therefore more student loan debt, so I get the kind that has dangly extensions coming off the sleeves! In all seriousness, I am honored to be invited to the event, which I think will be held at Clowes Hall.

Considering I'm an interim teacher whose only been a part of the staff for a few weeks, they could have easily overlooked me, but they didn't. I'm excited for the seniors who are graduating and going on to college. It takes me back to that time in my life when I stepped out into the world alone for the first time. I was almost overwhelmed by all the new possibilities. Life can still be overwhelming sometimes, but in the years since I've learned to embrace that feeling.

The final item of note from the week was an email I received from Mr. Gilchrist just before I left for the weekend. The subject of the email said breif observation. It was in regards to the 15 minutes he sat in on my class earlier in the week. He wants to sit down with me and Mr. Harris to, "See how things are going." I don't think there is any reason for this foreboding sense of dread in the pit of my stomach, but nevertheless I'm sure I will fret about it all weekend . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment