Friday, April 1, 2016

Striving for a better life

A couple of months ago I received an email from Strive Indy forwarded by Kat Toebes. Strive Indy is a volunteer organization that provides jobs, training, financial assistance, case management and therapy for ex-felons and adults with criminal histories residing in Marion County. They were looking for life coaches and somehow the email found it's way to me through the ArtReach department. I'm insanely busy, but I decided what the heck? I replied and pretty soon I was contacted by Kirsten Bush to come in, do a brief training session, and fill out some forms. That's how easy it was to become a life coach.

Indiana

Kirsten started off the training session by showing me this interesting 60 Minutes story about juvenile delinquent elephants released from wild life parks in Africa (I posted a link to it below). These were adolescent elephants who grew up in human care without role models. Once released, these elephants created mayhem. They began attacking and killing white rhinos just for the fun of it. Federal wildlife officals came up with a number of ways to correct this and even literally brought in mature elephants to show them the right and wrong way to behave. Sadly, some of the elephants could not change the error of their ways and had to be put down.


This lead us into a discussion about how a person can easily go off track and not have any idea how to fix it on their own. Sometimes all you need is someone to talk to about life, and that's what I intend to be for whoever I'm matched with. Once you receive a match you just basically get together once in a while to talk. You could get coffee, shoot hoops or play chess or something. The time commitment is very small. More people should be doing this . . .

It was about two weeks before I received a phone call from Kirsten saying she had a potential match for me. I came in and we met face to face. I would never divulge any information about my match's private life of course, but suffice to say he's a good guy who's had a lot of hard luck. Sure some of that is his own doing, but he acknowleges that. He's clean and sober and he really wants to make the necessary changes. He told me, "It's the fourth quarter and I've got five fouls." As he was talking about his troubles I couldn't help thinking to myself what the hell am I doing here? I'm the one who could use the life coach! But I just sat and listened to his story. It was as if he got to remove a lead vest for about an hour. 

As the meeting came to a close he told Kirsten that he approved of me and would see me again. If only my dating life went this smoothly! He said he'd be in touch, and I gave him a hug. He was pleasantly surprised by this gesture. I think it showed him that he's not alone and that there is somebody who truly cares. If I should ever leave the teaching profession I think I would explore the idea of making a career in counseling. I was filled with a positive feeling, which continued throughout the day and it inspired me to write this poem . . .

I Care
Out across the vast open space in the distance
You take a look at your wretched life and it's twisted
And you kick yourself in the butt
And you try to keep up
And you tried to find help
But you haven't had luck
I know man, I've been dealt the same bad hand
And I can honestly say, I understand
I understand a whole lot and I care
You may not think there's anyone for you, but I'm there.


No comments:

Post a Comment